Wednesday, August 5, 2009

i might have a problem peanut butter bars

It's my day off from work. I had to work a v. stressful event over the weekend starting from Thurs. and I have been exhausted. Too much sun and heat, on the water all weekend dealing with careless people. I decided to take a comp. day from work. As usual I come up with a menacing list of "to dos" on my relax day. I need to go grocery shopping and I wanted to finish reading my Bible today (selfishly so I can move onto another book). I just wrote 30+ thank you notes. How do I decide to spend the rest of my afternoon? Baking peanut butter bars with 1 1/2 sticks of butter to make me feel even worse about not working out!

Recipe taken in part from Jif

Ingredients:

Crust:
1 stick butter
3/8 c sugar
1/2 c flour
3/4 c oatmeal

Peanut Butter Bars:
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c water
1/4 c peanut butter (a bit more if you want a stronger pb flavor)
1/4 c oil
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1/2 tspn baking soda
1/4 c milk
1/2 tspn vanilla
1 egg

Crust:
Mix dry ingredients. Add in melted butter and mix until combined. Press into the bottom of an 8"x 8" pan.

Peanut Butter Bars:
Heat butter, water, peanut butter, and oil in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Once it is brought to a boil, set in fridge to cool.

Combine dry ingredients in mixture. Add milk, vanilla, and egg. Add peanut butter mixture and combine. Pour into 8"x 8" pan over crust. Place in 380 degree oven for ~40 min, until the corners brown and pull away from the edges and a chopstick comes out clean after poking the center.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. chello, baking IS a workout!...

    pb bars sound good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these actually turned out really well. It's more like peanut butter cake with a oatmeal crust bottom.

    ReplyDelete